26 February 2006

Deutsch Days and Sore Soles

I’m sorry to report that spring break has come and gone… I guess you missed it. I certainly would have if nobody had told me. I guess the title of the holiday itself threw me off: “Spring” would imply something before the vernal equinox on March 21st. Apparently, something has been lost in translation because my calendar still says February. Rant finished.

So last Saturday morning I hopped a bus to Berlin. It’s a city with a fairly well-known history, so I won’t bore you with all of the details. However, I’d like to mention that seeing the Berlin Wall, the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate, the thousands of unmarked blocks commemorating those killed during the Holocaust, and stepping across the line that formerly separated East from West is a much more visceral experience than I expected. It’s a city that has been destroyed and re-built on so many levels… one is acutely aware of the stark contrasts within the city at all times.

Apart from the historically gut-wrenching sites previously listed, I’d have to put my “Favorite” stamp on the Pergamon Museum. This huge building houses some of the most amazing artifacts I’ve ever seen… most of them bigger than an average suburban house. Seriously. Walking up the steps of the Pergamon Altar from 3rd century B.C. Greece or stepping through the Ishtar Gate from 6th century B.C. Babylon is enough to put anyone in his/her place. I don’t know how to think about things that are that old and historically significant.

I returned from Berlin on Tuesday morning, having spent the night bus ride with my new Argentinian film-critic friend, Javier. After giving Javier the dime tour of Prague, I returned home for a bit of rest.

On Thursday afternoon, I joined my friends Petr, Tereza, and Boris in the northern Czech mountains. I’d equate Pec Pod Snezkou (pronounced PETZ – pode – SNEZH-ko) with the Appalachians that run through New York. Not bad at all for a weekend ski trip. The funny part of the story comes with our arrival at the pension Boris and Tereza had reserved for us. Situated about a mile above the city, getting ourselves and our skiis, and guitars and whatnot required a 40-minute uphill ice hike. Hilarious in retrospect.

Overall, it was a great week. I’m sore but happy. If only it would warm up a bit.

I dare you to send me an email.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully this Blog inspires......O wait I already said that in my last comment. O well, good to see you "Tap'd the rockies", just like your favorite beer, Coors Light. Wait no part of the Rocky Mountains extend into the land of milk and.....dang it wrong country again. Anyways Harv good to see your still having fun in Finland!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home