12 February 2006

The Chronicles of Hubeny Stanislav

I was recently asked to take part in a great project.

My cousin Kate was given as assignment by her first grade teacher to "create a paper figure shaped like a 12" gingerbread man, dressed in the native costume of a foreign culture or country." His name is "Flat Stanley." Like the wonderful cousin she is, Kate chose the Czech Republic... because her cousin Mike lives and works there. Pretty great cousin, I know. Kate and my Aunt Norma spent a good while researching and dressing Flat Stanley, sent their little friend to me via USPS, and asked that I give him a grand tour of his native land. Well obviously I accepted the challenge, but under one condition... we give the little guy an appropriate Czech name. From then on, he has been known as "Hubeny Stanislav"... or "Thin Stanley." I consulted a few books and friends on his first name, and learned that "flat" doesn't translate perfectly, and can actually be seen as a derrogatory term, so "thin" it is.

Our tour took us all across the city of Prague to many of the important historical sites. Stanislav was a bit more mischevious than I anticipated, as you will see in the photos. But in the end, all was ok, and I think my vertically-challenged friend learned a great deal. I'm sorry to say that his time here was limited; Stanislav will be flying out tomorrow morning. He regrets his sudden departure, but it seems he is needed more in Mrs. Tully's first grade class. I can't say I blame him. Below you'll find a few of the pictures I took of Hubeny Stanislav.

In other news: Spring Break starts Friday. More on that to come.

I hope its warmer where you are than it is in Central Europe.

10 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

I'm not sure it's any warmer here and we definitely have more snow than you judging from the pictures.

Flat Stanl... I mean Hubeny Stanislav rocks! Both of my kids had to do that and you did a lovely job with yours.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd say "hi" this time.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post is hillar(ious). i can honestly say i laughed at each of those pictures. im sure your cousin la-hoved it!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Erin Vilines said...

You are a goof :) Didn't know you had a blog! I'd love to be added to your mysterious "mass email list" if you think about it!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger The Dorrs said...

hub stan -- glad to know ya...

~jake d

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your cousin brought back many fond memories of "Flat". Your friend Joel and his sister Abbey loved his adventures. Hubeny Stanislav I'm sure was quite the topic in Ms. Tully's First Grade class. Your cousin must be very proud.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefuly "The Chronicles of Hubeny Stanislav" has inspired Chris Parnel, of Saturday Night Live, to do another version of the rap song "The Chronicles of Narnia". But more importantly I hope you know what rap song I'm refering to.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://dlqgjnke.com/lnnp/baub.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mchyheur.com/msrg/xwaa.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://dlqgjnke.com/lnnp/baub.html | http://dbiviaag.com/qwoq/xdnp.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home