24 August 2005

Lost in Transition

Well, it’s been an adventure, friends. Less than 2 months after my grand return to the U.S. of A., I’m on the road again. (Go ahead, sing it with me… On the road again, can’t wait to get on the road again…) Ok, so I’m not actually on a road, as there are no roads connecting Cleveland and Prague… but I already used Leaving on a Jet Plane in a mass email, and I felt the need to include a sing-along here too.

So here I sit at a cluttered table in Frankfurt airport. Those who have been here know what a daunting place it is, and can picture the chaos that surrounds me. People are scrambling to get to their planes, stumbling over lay-over victims who are trying to get a bit of sleep in on the cold tile floor. In the background, Americans are speaking LOUDLY and sloooowly to German cashiers, trying to figure out if the gift shop accepts US Dollars… incidentally, all of the cashiers here have a good grasp of the English language… but I think they just secretly enjoy watching the foolish Americans. Occasionally the crowd sounds are interrupted by loud speaker announcements in 12 different languages. I’m reminded of how great traveling can be.

My plane ride from Detroit to Frankfurt was a bit culture shocking in its own way. I had the privilege of sitting next to a German man who was apparently celebrating a birthday. He was in the middle seat, I was on the aisle. No sooner had the ‘fasten your seat belt’ light chimed off, that people began to come wish him well. Large German women took no notice of the innocent English teacher in the aisle seat as they leaned over for a good long hug. German men lined up to share a shot of hard liquor with him… apparently airport security was too concerned with weapon screening to notice the vast quantities of rum and vodka in carry-ons today. All I really wanted was to read Harry Potter… a fairly challenging task when bodies and alcohol were passing between my face and my book.

After finishing that paragraph, my friend Meredith stepped up to the table. Neither of us had any idea that we would be here right now… nor that we would have the same flight into Prague. Go figure. Oh, Meredith is also an English teacher in Prague… so I guess it’s not so far fetched, but it still feels good to sound like I know people in all corners of the world.

This has certainly turned into an odd blog entry.

When last you heard from me I was exhausted, overwhelmed, and perhaps a bit over-dramatic, as sometimes happens when you’ve been awake too long. As I write to you now, I’m still exhausted, a bit less overwhelmed, and a lot less dramatic. Hopefully this will be somewhat lighter reading than before.

I’ve seen just about everyone I know in this world in the last 2 months… and said goodbye again. This was a lot harder with some than others… go ahead and read my last entry for more details there. Alas, it has to happen, right? I’ll be home at Christmas this year… 3 months… no big deal.

I am pleased to inform you that my dear friends Joe and Josie are now married. The Haacks were married in Oxford, Ohio on Saturday evening. I had the rare privilege of standing in the wedding as well as playing music. ‘Twas a beautiful wedding. Pics below.

I intended this to be a huge entry... but I can feel my brain starting to shut down. I should probably stop typing now.

Mass mailings will re-commence shortly. If you or anyone you know are interested in receiving emails from me, shoot me a note at harveyme@gmail.com.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great that you're in Kralupy now, Michael. You know, it occurred to me that there are approximately 121 days left until you come home for Christmas- depending on when you decide to fly in. But hey, who's really counting? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home