03 February 2007

Retrospect, Resumes, and the Rest of the Story...

I’m not sure if you knew this about me or not, but I’m an expert at hindsight. Retrospection and after-the-fact over-analysis are two of my most consistent character traits. This attribute is likely going to surface a few times during this potentially lengthy email, so take a deep-breath and perhaps a glass of wine. You’re in for a big one. I just thought I should warn you.

Our first example of hindsight relates to the very blog that you’re currently reading. After I posted stories and photos of the German and Czech adventure that was Kylepalooza ’07, I realized that I had neglected some crucial photos and stories. I’m ridiculous, I know. Just bear with me.

So lets start with the Ishtar Gate, one of the original entrances to the ancient city of Babylon. I don’t have a funny story to go with it, but I liked the picture a lot.


Kyle and I hit the Pergamon Museum just a few hours after Kyle’s bus pulled in, after which we shot over to the enormous Sony Center at Potsdamerplatz. For those unaware, the center, which holds a variety of restaurants, galleries and theatres, is recognizable from a far due to a huge glass and steel canopy that is meant to look like Mt. Fuji. So anyway, as we’re strolling through, we couldn’t help but notice a huge crowd of people, multiple projection screens, and more lights than the Superbowl. Of course, we felt it necessary to join the crowd. No sooner had we found ourselves a place near the front of the crowd, than a caravan of SUVs pulls up, and out steps Will Smith, wife Jada Pinkett, and son, whats-his-name. Apparently, we had stumbled onto the German premier of “The Pursuit of Happyness.” The funny thing is, most of the people in the crowd didn’t speak any English, so Will was greeted by shouts of “Veeel! Veeel! Hallo Veel!” Over and over and over. So of course, Kyle and I found it necessary to exercise our English fluency and shout “Love from Ohio, Will!” Don’t ask. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, anyway, Will turned to us and shouted “Yeah, Ohio!” That’s all there is to the story, really. But we think it’s a good one. It wasn’t until we were walking away that I realized I had miraculously captured the moment on film. So here’s a photo of Will “The Fresh Freakin’ Prince” Smith shouting “Yeah, Ohio!”



I already told you most of the Prague stories post-Berlin as they involved Kyle, but I might as well throw another picture in there. Pictured: Kyle, Mike, and Chuck (the Charles Bridge). This picture took forever to take, so I felt including it was necessary.


When last I posted, I didn’t have pictures of the Lednovy Underground Music Festical quite yet. So here is one of the decent ones sent to me since then. Pictured: Petr, Me, Boris, Kevin, and Michal. Kevin was being fuzzy when the photo was taken.


Retrospect also brought me to the conclusion that I hadn’t given due attention to the kind gentlemen who allowed me to crash in their flat for nearly a month. You’ve met Zach before… he was my roomie, traveling companion, and fellow beer critic last year. You’ve likely not yet met Andrew Straight. He has recently graduated from university with a degree in Music, recently proposed to a lovely young lady named Elanor, and recently recovered from a lengthy battle with Salmonella. It was pretty bad. Finally, we have Benji, a moody Beagle-ish dog who spends his time sleeping, drooling, humping and stealing and hiding shoes. We like him. Pictured: Zach, Andrew, and Benji.




Most of the last two weeks of my trip (post-Kyle) was spent with friends, former-students and the aforementioned moody Beagle. I spent more time in pubs than I care to admit, easily consumed more than 10 gallons of Masala tea at Kralupy’s teahouse. Like my last grand departure from Kralupy, I found that I hadn’t quite seen all the people I hoped to. So I sent out a blanket text message to the masses announcing that I would be at one specific pub at 7pm the night before my flight (Sunday), should anyone want to have one last beer with me before I go. 20 people showed up. On a Sunday night. In a wind storm. I’m not sure that I have that many friends in the states who would do the same. I’m going to miss them a lot. So here are pictures of them:




Also before I left, the friends who accompanied me to Siberia last summer gathered once again for an evening of stories, pictures and music. In addition to the original six, a handful of other friends joined in the festivities. It was a really great night. You may recall a photo from the Siberia blog in which Ondra, Martin and myself were displaying our Baltika beer proudly in front of the Trans-Siberian railroad line. Well we attempted to re-enact the photo, sans railroad, with Staropramen beer instead. I'm proud to have captured Ondra's halo on film as well. Pictured: The six Siberian travellers; St. Ondra, me and Martin.



I departed the Czech Republic on Monday morning. My dear friends, Zuzka and Katka drove me to Prague airport and sat with me while I waited for my flight. But it wasn't really goodbye, as they'll both be coming to visit me in the states this summer. Pictured: Me, Katka and Zuzka.


I mentioned to a friend yesterday that, while the trip was certainly full of people that I love dearly, it was also good for my soul and outlook on life in ways I hadn’t anticipated. I guess returning to a place that changed me so significantly over the course of two years, and finding that there are still people there who genuinely want me around and remember all the stories that I often think about… (again, hindsight playing an integral role in my well-being)… well it was just really good. But I also find myself a bit more optimistic about whats next. I cant really explain why, but returning to Kralupy brought a lot of closure for me. Apparently there wasn’t quite enough closure to keep me from applying for jobs in Prague before I left, but alas, the fish just weren’t biting. So now I’m back in the states.

I’ve been back in North Ridgeville, OH less than 100 hours, and already I’m feeling stir-crazy. I’ve never wanted to work… or at least to be productive… so badly in my life. I’ve been sending resumes to companies like its going out of style… and have unfortunately received very little feedback. If I don’t find something in the next week or two, I may very well just move to Chicago and work as a waiter for a bit longer. Its not such a bad deal, and it would certainly help the fact that I don’t really know many people in Chicago. But I’m pretty ambivalent about Cleveland and all that comes with living here. So why not throw caution to the wind once more while I can? Right? (This is where I need you to insert affirmation… or a job offer.)

Unlike my last post, I can’t promise that I’ll keep you updated in the near future. If I move I will certainly post an update, but my blogging motivation stateside is waning. The best way to reach me is email, and I would love to hear from you. I hope this note finds you well, my friends. Thanks for reading all of this.

Two quick notes before I go.

• As I type this, my counter is at 9,998 vistors. That means that the second person to view this new post will be the big #10,000. Congratulations, whoever you are. Shoot me a note and I’ll give you due recognition.

• If you’re the iTunes-perusing type, download “Long Time Traveller” by the Wailin’ Jennys. I submit it as one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

3 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo.

 
At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, MOVE TO CHICAGO!!! It's sweet and needs MIKE HARVEY!!!

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger rustafarian said...

hey harvey, you still blogging anywhere?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home