02 November 2005

The Queen and I

You’ll have to forgive me on this one. I’ve been pretty out of it the last few days, due recovery necessary from a huge week spent in London and Liverpool… and my inability to fit said recovery into my schedule. If my words get a bit jumbled, or I start to ramble, feel free to skip ahead a few sentences (…like you don’t do that already).

So despite the predictions of so many regarding my big trip to England, I’m happy to report that the Brits were exceptionally friendly, and the weather was beautiful. Apparently, people have had different experiences along the way.

My trip began on the evening of Tuesday the 25th. My evening class ended a bit early that night, in order for one of my students to drive me down to Prague airport to catch my flight. I landed at Gatwick airport around 11pm (err… 23:00 if you’re European). My hostess for the week was a young lady by the name of Audrey Merrell, who happens to be dating my friend Rob from church in Prague. Audrey was gracious enough to let me crash on a blow-up mattress on her floor for a few days.

I don’t have the time or motivation to dive into a detailed description of all I did and saw in London, so allow me to just give you the laundry list: Wednesday I woke up bright and early and headed to the Tower of London. From there, I hit the Tower Bridge, South Bank, Millennium Bridge, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Tate Modern Museum, a double-decker bus, and Piccadilly Circus. Tuesday night, I attended a performance of Les Miserables. Granted, I was by myself. Surely, company would have been more fun… but it made the show no less powerful. Unbelievable. After the show, I walked back through Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, and made my way to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. By then I could barely move, so I went back to Audrey’s and slept. The next morning I awoke refreshed, though slightly sore, and headed back into the city. Thursday included: The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey (Side note: Westminster Abbey is one of the most amazing places I’ve ever been), Victoria Square, Trafalgar Square, the National Portrait Gallery, Leicester Square, and (I’m sorry to say) Starbucks. I have to say, I really think the Brits knew what they were doing when they built London… yes, I know it wasn’t a singular decision; but you get my point. Friday morning I departed for Liverpool from Euston Station.

Let’s pause on London for a minute. I don’t know that I’ve really been awed by any city so far like I was by London. Everything was built on such an enormous scale… a person can’t help but feel tiny. On top of that, around every corner exists some site or monument of extraordinary historical significance. The stories and artifacts within the walls of Westminster Abbey were like nothing I’ve seen before. I wouldn’t have the slightest idea of how to explain it to you.

So onto Liverpool. This character-laden port town isn’t much to look at when compared with London, but it contains a number of very important things: The Beatles, an enormous Anglican church, Papa John’s pizza, and friends from Miami. I spent the weekend with my great friend Ryan Hawkins, and a big group of friends currently working with Campus Crusade at three universities in the city. The weekend was spent exploring, telling old stories, sitting in a variety of great English pubs, and playing music. The first evening I was there, the team happened to be hosting an open mic night at a local club. Miss Sarah Toth, a great friend from Miami, and former worship team member, joined me on a few songs. It was really cool to get to make music with her again. Overall, ‘twas a great weekend with friends.

On Sunday evening, I braved the gauntlet that is Gatwick airport once again, and flew home to Prague. I hope to catch up on my sleep here soon… I’ll keep you posted. In the mean time, thanks for reading all of that. I’d love to hear from you all, so shoot me a note if you have a chance.

P.S. I didn't actually meet the Queen, despite my best efforts. I just thought that title might pique your curiosity and keep you reading.

3 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you mean you didnt meet the Queen....The Nav was there right?? remember his nickname in highschool was The Queen of Spades!!?...anyways good to see hear your doing well young harvester

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger The Dorrs said...

Mike-

Guess where I was last weekend---London!!! I was in town for my cousin's wedding. Next time we will have to plan better. Would have been great to see you!

Beka Dorr

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Sara said...

good lord harvest, i cannot believe how much you got done in so few days in london. suffice it to say i am a much slower walker than you.

also, i was chuckling a bit at your london pictures, because i have almost the exact same ones in the early pages of my blog, from when i lived in london for a while last spring. he he, great minds and all that, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home